Maine

I almost (almost) think the idea of a tender hot and juicy lobster tail for dinner sounds enticing. But, I still can't get past the shelling feature that is required to eat such a meal. I can only shuck corn before I eat it. Creatures of the sea, including but not limited to lobster, crabs and shrimp are not items I will eat if I have to dissect them to do so. It's just too gross.

So instead I'll probably just eat some of the fresh fruit and veggies I bought at the market in Carlisle while I was there the other morning. It made a lovely dinner last night... strawberries, honeydew and cantaloupe, carrot chips and celery. It was a tasty treat. Dessert was not something most people consider dessert but it was a tasty way to end my meal... reduced fat Triscuit's with Cheddar easy cheese. I was satisfied, and that's all that matters.

My time back out on the road has been pretty uneventful so far. I delivered my first load in Winchester VA and then picked up a load in the same area bound for Maine. Which is where I am now... still waiting for a dock so I can get this crap unloaded and find a truck stop for the night. I have a load assignment already, which I will pick up tomorrow and it will take me to Kentucky. A nice long run over 1,000 miles. I hope that it helps make up for the fact that I took all of last week off in addition to my one week paid vacation prior... last week off means no paycheck tomorrow. Booo hiss.

But I told my manager yesterday I wanted miles miles miles. I am willing to run hard over the next few weeks to catch up for my losses from last week. Not so hard I keel over, but hard enough to pad my pocketbook again. I had to dip into my stash when we bought the Titan, for a down payment, so I need to replace it and toss in more. Nest egg... savings... whatever you wanna call it.

The load I'm on right now has me a little anxious and the waiting around to get docked isn't helping matters much. At least I've made the journey from VA to ME with no problems. But this load might require me to do the unloading. My instructions say it's a FULL DHU which means Driver Hand Unload on the entire batch of freight. But special instructions for this particular receiver state that a lumper must be approved. So I guess if the company won't approve a lumper, then I get to do the grunt work. Not that I mind... it's certainly not like unloading a trailerful of tires. It's not often that when a work assignment says DHU that we actually have to do the work. But there are some places that charge outrageous amounts for lumper work that the company just won't budge on budget.

I suppose if I have to do it, I can consider it at least a nice little work out. yay... exercise that I get paid for! haha

Comments

Buckshot said…
I am with you on the shelling thing for at least crab and shrimp. Not that I think it is gross, but that it is too much work for too little return. Now lobster is another matter........


Stay safe out there. Jim
The18Wheeler said…
I don't know if you had to do the unloading of the tires or not, but here's a little trick on moving tires out of the truck: Lay one tire on it's side on the floor of the trailer about 4 feet away from the mountain of tires waiting to be moved. Take a second tire, lift it above your head, and throw it down onto the edge of the tire that's on the floor. The two rubber tires will spring apart from each other, and while the tire on the floor will stay put, the one you've thrown will shoot out the back of the trailer. I once had to unload a trailer full of tires all by myself. I was about 1/4 way into the trailer when I figured out this tecnique, and things started moving a lot faster after I did it. Luckily, it was divided amongst 5 different tire stores in the albuquerque area so I got 4 breaks in the job. Regardless, it was a long day.

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Blowin' Stuff Up