Nearly Next Year

As I am trying to mentally prepare myself for the New Year ahead, my mind drifts to the events of the past year, in a period of reflection and retrospection if you will.  I think about having made the decision to go back over-the-road for a while to boost the household income and escape the insanity of working in the field of public transit.

I absolutely love being on the open roads and doing something that is both fun and challenging.  I missed home, my husband and family and friends of course, but I really enjoyed my time back out there, trucking it up for a while.  I had more good adventures and made memories that will last a lifetime.

In late May, as spring was pressing into summer my husband and I celebrated our first anniversary, spending a great weekend having another great adventure. We took the tour of the underbelly of the world famous New River Gorge Bridge.  From the catwalk that runs the length of the bridge below the road surface we watched hawks and falcons soar, thrill seekers get tossed and soaked on the swift rapids of the New River white waters, and tourists wave hello from the twisting road way below our perch.  We enjoyed the two hour tour and it's breathtaking high views of the Gorge, a view we had always longed for but ever expected to get. 

In mid-July we learned that a decision we had made in the late days of spring had led to something slightly head of plan yet not completely unexpected.  As I sat staring at the two pink lines on each of the three pregnancy tests I took at home after a particularly LONG three weeks on the road. It was then that we realized that our family of two was soon to grow a wee bit larger.

Excitingly, in late August my husband got accepted into and stepped through the door of the local Union Hall as a bonafide Pipetrades Apprentice. It was the career for which he had been preparing for for over two years with Career and Technical College classes and hands on real world training while working for a buddy of our brother-in-law who is in the private sector of the same career field. He was thrilled, and I was thrilled for him.  He'd been wanting this for so long and was so happy to finally begin this new phase in his life. 

In October I wrapped up my over-the-road adventures and headed into the world of season retail.  All the while watching my belly grow and my life transform one day at a time.  So much is changing and yet so much remains the same. And honestly, I couldn't be happier!

As I sit here now, just days away from 2013, I realize what a good year we've had and can look back and say that everything we did, planned, and accomplished made 2012 one of our best yet. 

I look ahead to the New Year and it's challenges and adventures with a big smile on my face and a proud swell in my heart (and belly).  And I cannot wait to share all that lies ahead with you!

Comments

june in florida said…
Happy New Year to you and your family Gi-Gi.

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic