B*tchy Black Friday Rant

So working retail during the Holiday season really wasn't my best career decision.  Actually up until today, even doing retail while pregnant wasn't THAT bad.  I love the girls I work with in my department, the whole night crew is really awesome, and even getting up at the ungodly hours I do to work isn't too hateful. 

But today, even after just a five and a half hour shift, I am regretting my decision to work at all this time of year. 

The retail store I work for, just like pretty much every other retail store in the country, is gearing up for Black Friday sales.  We had two delivery trucks to unload and unpack and stock this morning.  Since I started we have only had one truck at a time, with a piece count of roughly 2000.  Which is peachy, we work hard, and get that done most days right on schedule.  But today, with two trucks of nearly 2000 pieces each, we didn't get anywhere near done before the store opened this morning and will just be behind and forced to catch up tomorrow morning possibly putting us even further behind. 

But honestly, all that is fine and dandy, we will deal. 

What I didn't realize was that my store isn't just open for Black Friday, no no.. that'd be too cliche'.  No, we're opening up at 9PM on Thanksgiving.  Yep. 

So I've decided that any and everyone who actually goes shopping Thursday night can suck it. It's completely idiotic to be opening anytime before midnight. 

I mean, I get midnight, but 9 o'clock? On Thanksgiving? Really?  Is it necessary?

It will probably be crazy for the first couple of hours, then slack off for several hours and then pick up again in the morning when NORMAL people are getting out of bed after a good nights' turkey coma induced sleep come shopping during NORMAL business hours. 

I suppose some folks like the excitement of being there first and getting the good deals.  But what they seem to fail to understand is that at most stores, the sales they're camping out for, getting up in the middle of the night for, and beating up old ladies for, is going to be on sale ALL day, heck many of them are even on sale all week, month or possibly even until the New Year. 

I wouldn't be anywhere near a store for Black Friday if it wasn't for the fact that I need to earn a paycheck.  I've never EVER gone Black Friday shopping, because I'm smarter than the average bear and know it's not really worth it. 

I'm not telling you NOT to go shopping, I just think you're a little insane to be doing it and want you to reconsider.

The worst part of this whole Black Friday thing for me is that I have to be at work at 8:30PM Thanksgiving night and work until 4:30AM Black Friday morning... which means instead of enjoying a fabulous Thanksgiving dinner with family and/or friends, I'll be spending the day sleeping so I'm awake for my shift that night. 

*yes, here comes the pity party*

So while you and your loved ones enjoy your Thanksgiving festivities and spend time organizing your Black Friday shopping lists.... remember that I think you can suck it.  Big time.   

Comments

Belledog said…
GiGi: you have just addressed just what I was going to ask you about. I was concerned that this might befall your holiday.

I think it's appalling that retail employees have to give up their family Thanksgiving day, a federal holiday for others and a uniquely American tradition, to serve Mammon and customers who don't have the sense to stay home.

Retailers are not serving the demand; you could argue they are actively promoting it to grow their bottom lines/quarterly results, on the backs of their mostly low-paid workforce.

It's greed; greed by the retailers and their shareholders, and greed (and maybe boredom/shopping addiction/cheap thrills-seeking) by the shopping public.

I wish so much that you could spend your last pre-baby holiday home and safe with your loved ones, instead of tromping in so some fool scores what she thinks is an unrepeatable deal on a TV or game system.

Shame, shame, shame.

I am writing to the general managers of some of the local large retailers in my area, telling them I am reducing or cutting out my shopping at their stores as they steal Thanksgiving holiday from their employees.

And I am going to make that stick. I hope smaller retailers don't get on the same 24/7/365 as the majors. It's deplorable.

Thanksgiving is one of the most positive and family-oriented holidays of the year.

There's not a war on Christmas. There is, however, a war on Thanksgiving, under the guise of consumer "choice".

And best holiday to you.

Cheers.

Belledog (off the soapbox. Not purchased at a retailer that will not be named.)
Belledog said…
GiGI: New York Times story Wednesday: some of New England still has blue laws that prohibit sales on Turkey Day.

Way to go Massachusetts! You too, Rhode Island and Maine (one exception for grandfathered LLBean, open 365 days).

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/21/us/blue-laws-curb-consumerism-where-pilgrims-gave-thanks.html?hp&pagewanted=all

The Daily Rant said…
Man, it's just like you're still trucking - not getting to spend the holiday with your family. That totally sucks! We're on the road this year, so we'll be enjoying a buffet meal in some truckstop or restaurant. Sadly, no leftovers to take home. :(

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic