Catch & Release

Welp, the big boss made it down this week. He actually arrived unannounced yesterday morning. But I didn't find out until I was pulling back into the parking lot (alone) in one of the company box trucks after a long day of driving around in southwestern WV yesterday evening.

As I crested the hill and turned on my left turn signal I saw his vehicle parked beside the shop.

Oh crap! Here I was pulling in, driving solo, without having had done my final ride along.

I grabbed my cell phone and dialed my shop boss, who'd taken the day off.

"Dude, big boss man is here, WTF do I do now... I just pulled in, ALONE?" I spat out, panicked.

"Oh man, I dunno, good luck!" he replied, half joking... half empathetic.

I decided it was best to go in, beaming a smile, putting off positive vibes and do my best to kill him with kindness. It seemed to be unnecessary since I found him in a rather incredible mood. We didn't exchange more than greetings and simple pleasantries before he informed me I needed to be back in at 6 am for an important meeting. Then I put away the truck keys, tossed my trash in the office can, and then waved goodbye.

The waking up this morning wasn't pleasant or easy. I spent the night restless, wondering what today was going to bring with the big boss in town. After battling the snooze button a half dozen times, I finally shuffled downstairs, half slept through making and eating my breakfast. When I found I was dressed and waiting by the back door, my sweetie shuffled down to shuttle me off to work.

I arrived about 15 minutes early. I was the first. The other new guy was the second, big boss the third and shop boss... well he was traditionally a little late. Once we were all assembled, we made ourselves a convoy to the local fast food joint for our big meeting.

We set up shop for over 5 hours of training and education in the back of the restaurant, listening to the big boss preach from the company bible (ya know, the handbook and manuals). A few short breaks and a car ride later, we landed back at the shop for some more hands on training and education.

After a total of about 7 hours it was finally decided that since both the new guy and I had already been out on our own at least once each, a ride along by the big boss was no longer necessary. Logic being that the shop boss wouldn't have let us fly solo if he hadn't felt that we were ready. So we signed off on a ride along test paper using dates from our last date on which we rode with the shop boss.

So now I'm officially a solo route driver. woot woot.

Anywho. Now I'm kicked back and snuggled up in front of the space heater while my sweetie is outside under the pick-up truck changing the oil and filter, in the rain. His decision, not mine. And tomorrow we're gonna sleep in and watch for the fluffy stuff they're saying might fall from the sky for the first time since last winter.

(BTW, bah-humbug I hate snow)

Comments

some asian guy said…
well, all right. you're in. and you didn't have to sweat the ride along :-) congrats!
Ms. Crawford said…
You know I gotta say it, things DO work out. So happy for you! The worst is the ride along, testing BS they put you through and you skated right past that. Go you and Congrats!

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic