I'm Here My Dear, Get Used To It!

I can't believe I'm less than 72 hours away from NOT being an Over-The-Road Adventuress any longer. It's a little exciting and a little scary at the same time. I'm really looking forward to my little career shift, learning to do a new type of trucking related job. This new job will be a little bit of driving, which I love, and a lot of hands on hard work, which I'll surely learn to love.

I'm getting nervous about learning the new skill set required for my new job, I'm sure that after a little training and time it'll be second nature and I'll be just fine. But I'm going to be learning to handle some hazardous materials and the equipment that is used to transfer the material from one location to another, safely.

It will be intensive and extensive and I'm sure, interesting as well. I'm also kinda looking forward to the uniforms. Seriously... to not have to stare at my clothes and try to figure out what to wear for the day will be a small blessing. Not that I have too much to choose from, what with all of the company t-shirts I've acquired over the past three years with my current (and nearly previous) employer.

I think somewhere around 60% of my suitable wardrobe consists of these company logo'd t-shirts, jackets, hoodies, hats, etc. Especially since I've added some unflattering weight to my body since my first days on the job and all the clothes that sit in the dresser at home are either too snug or just too small for me to wear now.

Of course, I expect that to change, as I'm taking part of my vacation payout that I'll be getting soon to pay for a membership at the local YMCA. OMG I'm so excited about this! I was a member of the Y for just under a year while I was working at my last job before I became a trucker. I was there three to four days a week, no less than 2 hours each day. I did cardio, weight training, a little soak in the hot tub and the occasional aerobics class.

I was looking over the current class schedule and have decided I'll be zumba'ing two times a week and maybe taking a water aerobics class once a week, on top of hitting it hard with the cardio equipment and slowly working back into weight training.

I'm setting a small goal for now, 20 lbs by the time we depart port on our cruise in April. I think that should be doable. I'll be making my own meals at home, packing healthy food for the days I'll be working (so I'm not tempted by the fast food joints I'll be servicing throughout the day, yes that is a new job hint) and then working out at the Y on my way home and on my days off.

I figure the exercise will start slow. I'm in pretty bad shape, I get winded easily and I get sore with much lifting and such even now. For example, I kept wondering yesterday why I felt like I'd been hit by a Mac Truck, when I remembered I'd pulled myself into the back of a trailer the day before to pick up some trash left in the nose of the trailer and realized I must've strained my muscles doing so.

Ugh, embarrassing. So yeah, baby steps on getting back in shape.

I also hope that the regular exercise and improved diet will not only help me drop pounds, but also help naturally lower my outta control cholesterol and get me out of the pre-diabetes zone as opposed to crossing that line.

So, as you can tell this job change is gonna be good for me on so many fronts. I'll be able to take time to exercise, eat right and get back into physical shape; I'll be home and be able to spend time with the loved ones I've missed so dearly to get back in personal shape; and I'll still be doing what I love (driving) while being challenged with the more physical aspects of the new job, getting into a new and improved career shape.

Oh and please, don't fret folks... I'm not going anywhere. I'll probably be blogging more often than I have since I started this blog. It'll likely be reminiscent of my first blog ever that I had over at what used to be known as Yahoo! 360. I don't even know if that blog is still alive on the interwebs somewhere, but it was a lot of fun. I had a job that didn't keep me too occupied at the time and allowed me to blog daily, often multiple times a day.

I figure with three days off a week I'll have a little bit more time to spend blogging about what's happening in my little trucker world. So stay tuned... it's gonna get better, I just know it!

Comments

Mark said…
This is great news. First that your getting off the road and still staying in trucking and most of all because your still blogging. Good luck.
Anonymous said…
good luck g...i've enjoyed following your career....keep us up to date...tx_high_roller

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic