Bittersweet...

I've been realizing just how close the end of my OTR career is these past few days. Sure I can always come back, but I really don't see it happening.

Anywho, I was driving along yesterday when I passed a hospital that I've seen go from literally a dirt mound littered with bull dozers and back hoes to a full service, full parking lot, fully functioning medical care facility. I've realized just how much change I've been privy to over the past three years, as I've made my way around the country. I've seen things built, destroyed, and otherwise altered in many places.

I've seen sunrises and sunsets in 44 of 50 states.

I've chased and been chased by tornado's, super cell thunderstorms storms, snow storms, and other threatening weather phenomenon.

I've driven through inches of snow and ice and lived to tell the tale.

I've busted two trailer tires from careless rookie mistakes.

I've helped other drivers whenever I could. And been helped by others' whenever I needed it.

I've been treated like a lady, like a dude, like a child, like a professional, like I didn't exist, like I was the best thing since slice bread, and like just another driver in a long line of drivers coming and going.

I've been asked if I'm old enough to drive a rig, if I'm tall enough to reach the pedals, and if I am ever afraid of being behind the wheel of an 80 thousand lb killing machine.

I've been applauded when I bumped a particularly difficult dock and when I bounced back to my feet after a particularly embarrassing fall into a snow drift.

I've been here and there but no where near everywhere.

I've had a blast.

I am anxious for my next step. In the meantime, I'm still trucking. :o)

Comments

Pat said…
that's a nice post. I guess the stereotypical truck driver isn't nearly as common as people think.
KTNeeley said…
there is only one quote that fits this post..."To every ending, there is always a new beginning"
Sam Huss said…
Great post! Best of luck on your future endeavors!
Ms. Crawford said…
I love this post and am a little sad to see you leaving the OTR aspect. I have always admired you, being out here doing your thang and being a women about it all and I really enjoy your posts :) I am so happy that you feel you got everything you wanted out of being over the road and now it is time for a new adventure. Life is all about the adventure! I hope you enjoy it and I am sure you will do great. Keep us posted!
The Daily Rant said…
Great post. Your writing will definitely be missed but I'm so glad you've enjoyed the trucking life and I love that as a woman, you've made it appealing to the many people who might want to look into it as a career.

I've admired you for doing this all on your own and it's still amazing to me - I don't know that I'd do it without Eddie as my co-driver.

I wish you all the best with your life as a fiance, a future wife, a daughter, sister, aunt and friend...all of those things you're so good at and so many love you for.

I wish we would have met in person - but you never know - it could happen someday.

Will look forward to your future posts until the very last word comes from you. I will be checking in as I always do.

Ciao!
Unknown said…
Hope you'll still make a little time to keep us informed about your new job - I just found your blog a few weeks ago, but I love your style! Congrats on your engagement,too!
Angela said…
Salena.... you're always welcome to swing by if you're ever in Charleston, WV. We have a nice little truck stop at exit 95, it's a Go-Mart on Rt. 61 south.

I guess this goes for most of you whom I've made online trucker buds with. If you're in the area even for a short stop for a quick meal, gimme a shout (I get immediate email alerts on my phone when someone posts a comment) and I'll do my best to come visit!

Some of you already have my phone number... so I expect to hear from you eventually.

In the meantime... truck on!

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic