Parting is such sweet sorrow...

Vacation is over. This is sad. I have to work now. Booooo

So today is my first official day back to work after a lovely winter vacation. It was a rocky start, partly because of my own (un)doing and partly because of the weather. It's effin' cold, snowy and just plain yucky right now, as many of you are aware. Most of the US is being blasted by wintry weather. Columbus, where I had parked Kenny for vacation, was no exception.

After a slippery and slow drive in the Nissan back to Columbus from home yesterday, my sweetie and I arrived to find Kenny covered in snow right where I'd parked him. After clearing a few paths and knocking off some of the snow, we loaded all of my crap into the berth and high-tailed it to the hotel.

My last night of vacation was bitter sweet, filled with the aromatic scents of rare steaks and sweet peas which we cooked in the kitchenette of our suite. Yes, I said suite... don't think I am all fancy pants or anything though, my sweetie had stayed and paid for rooms at enough of a particular chain of hotels over the past few years that he had earned a free nights stay.... which we redeemed last night. Booyah! It was swell.

Rested and ready to go, we hit the Bob Evans for breakfast and then headed to the company terminal. After throwing a tantrum or two, I was finally hooked up to an empty trailer and eager to get moving. I knew the longer I waited around the more tantrums I'd throw, so hooked and ready I bade farewell to my sweets and sent him on his way. Only to call him on his mobile to beg him to come back...

Because I had frozen trailer breaks. Lucky for me, he hadn't left the terminal yet and he circled back around to save his fair maiden in distress. Only, he didn't really get the job done either. Of course, neither did another company driver who saw us fiddling by the trailer tandems and offered his assistance. The fix was the biggest effin' sledge hammer I've ever seen, courtesy of the company shop. My GAWD that thing was HUGE! And it did the trick. A few swings, bangs and voila! loosed breaks!

Finally rollable, I sent my sweetie off with a smooch once more and made my way out of the terminal behind him. He headed south, I headed north. I picked up a load on the north side of Columbus which I am headed to Arkansas with now. Well, not NOW, right now I'm hanging in my bunk playing on the internet trying to stay warm somewhere in Kentucky. Tomorrow I will make it to Arkansas and rest once more before I make the final stretch and deliver this load early Sunday morning. I hope I get to stay in the southern regions of the country for a few days, wait out the worst of the snow squalls that are pounding most of the states north, east and west.

I do wish I were still on vacation. But just like my sweetie said I would be, I am happy to be out working and doing what I love to do again also. So watch out y'all.... Gi-Gi is on the road again!

Comments

Jason S Harry said…
First off, I have never met a driver who has off for a week every three weeks or so! I might have to reapply!

Second, the time off has served you well- this story was short & sweet and so full of creativeness, I loved reading it oh so much and almost felt sorry for you and yours being apart again...but in another two weeks you'll be off again! Lucky Girl, you!
Angela said…
Now wait a minute! I don't get a week off every three weeks, oh how I wish I did.

I could technically by taking my allowable 5 days off after working 4 weeks if I wanted to park in Columbus and drive 3 hours one way to go home. But that is just retarded.

So I take 3-4 days every 3 weeks-ish and take my truck home with me, which is much nicer and allows me to sleep in on the day I "hit the road" again. lol


You should totally come back to the orange side if you're getting antsy for some real miles though, things are picking up and we could use a driver who likes to keep his/her truck all clean and shiney. ;oP

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Blowin' Stuff Up