Q & A - The Gi-Gi way.

I received a comment on a blog post that I figured would be way more fun to publish it as a post, rather than a comment on another post. So here goes.... BTW, Thanks Steve (who ever you are, where ever you are) for a great list of questions!

==================================================================

Hi Gi-Gi!! I have followed your blog for quite a while now. I find it VERY interesting! A few weeks (months?) ago you asked for questions from your faithful followers. I'm a little slow but I have some now ... Ready?

1) Is trucking everything you thought it would be?

Everything and more actually... I honestly didn't have any idea what to expect from life on the road, but I suppose that as far as my imagination went, I got way more than I'd imagined. I mean, weenie sightings just weren't anywhere in my imaginings. ;o)

2) What do you find positive about trucking?

For me the biggest positive is the whole traveling thing. I love to be on the move and this is certainly one career choice that allows me to fulfill that passion while learning about myself, life, and it's kinda like getting paid to sight see. Just about everyday presents some new challenge for me, also, which is something I think that everyone craves on some level. A job or career for me can't be fully satisfying unless I really have to work and problem solve on a fairly regular basis. Trucking, for me, gives me all the challenges I need on the daily.

3) What do you find negative about trucking?

For me the biggest negative is being away from home. Family, friends, loved ones are living their lives as usual. Doing all the things they have always done. And I feel like I'm missing out on a lot being away all the time. Sure, I'm enjoying my life on the road but I only get to hear stories about the things that are happening at home, and that can be kind of depressing from time to time.

4) Does your truck ever feel "top heavy"? Or, is it like driving a real large car?

Top heavy is a good word for the way the truck feels in turns, especially. I've driven a few fairly large 4 wheeled vehicles, but nothing has ever felt the same as a tractor, mostly because none of the 4 wheelers I've been in have air ride suspension to the extent that a tractor does.

5) How long do you see yourself doing this?

I could honestly see myself on the road until I'm old and gray, I like it that much. But I also like the idea of being at home and doing the settling down kinda thing too. I'm sure it'll be a tough decision, if/when it needs to be made. I love what I'm doing, it's something I truly have a passion for and I must admit, that should I ever have to retire or choose to, it will be a tough transition.

6) How do you keep focused hour after hour on the road?

I've probably admitted this somewhere else on my blog, but I talk to myself a lot. I am working things out mostly... trying to solve world problems and such. ;o) I also listen to a lot of music and talk radio, which pass the time quite quickly.

7) What's the coolest thing you've seen while driving?

I have to admit I'm not sure what the coolest thing I've seen so far is. I enjoy seeing new places and I really loved my last trip back from California during which I got to drive through some lovely wild west wilderness. I love the western mountain ranges and the geographical diversity that lies west of the Mississippi.

8) What's the worst thing you've seen while driving?

I trust you've read my weenie stories? ;o) Aside from those, the worst I've seen was probably an accident in which a minivan, and SUV and a big rig collided to create a tangled and mangled mass of metal in which the occupants of the two 4 wheelers were all killed, including several children. By the time I saw the wreckage, none of the victims were left at the scene, but the remnant were enough to make me sick to my stomach... for a few hours afterwards.

9) Are truck stops as bad as they say?

That depends on what you've been hearing? There are a few truck stops I've rolled into and right back out of, because of a "feeling" I had in the pit of my stomach. Whether it was warranted or not, I will never know, but I trust my gut and have so far stayed quite safe that way. As far as anything else goes... yes in summer time they reek of urine and your feet stick to things they shouldn't.

10) When are you going to come to California?

I've already been, twice... where were you?!

Thanks Gi-Gi!!

You're quite welcome!

Comments

june in florida said…
I drove a cab for 16 years and that inner voice/gut feeling has saved my butt more times than i can count.
GoGo said…
"I've probably admitted this somewhere else on my blog, but I talk to myself a lot."

Record that!
Angela said…
Road82, if I recorded it then people would have actual proof that I'm barkin' mad! hehe
The Daily Rant said…
Great list of questions! I might have to ask some of my readers for questions too - I often wonder what they think. And great answers too!

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic