Oohh... IdleAire

Today I finally sucked it up and approached the IdleAire nazi's at a truck stop I am resting my bones at for the night. The last few times (back before the new year actually) that I inquired about IdleAire it was gonna cost me an arm and a leg and a kidney just for start up costs for the "Gold Membership". If I recall correctly a Christmas/Holiday special at one stop was gonna cost me $35 just for the membership fees for a year, which they called a "deal".

I kept putting it off and telling myself it wasn't worth it.

Today, I was done and unable to move on to my next assignment until morning and stuck at a truck stop with IdleAire so I figured I'd be a good girl and not idle all day in the truck. Well.. after about an hour of sweating profusely I hopped out of my big orange oven and headed to the IdleAire shack.

Turns out, the rates these days aren't so bad. Recent rumor had it that the company went bankrupt, so I kinda had hoped on the walk over to the shack that that had played a role in potential rate decreases. I don't know if the bankruptcy rumors are true or not still, but I did get a fairly good deal on a Gold Membership. $20 which included a yearly fee and the "rental" of the window piece that holds the actual IdleAire unit in place. I keep the window piece until I no longer pay for membership.

So right now, I'm sitting in a very chilly cab with icicles hanging from my nose. Woo hoo!

Photobucket

I'm so glad I finally got suckered into IdleAire.

The only draw back is that from before where the hourly rates were less than two bucks an hour, they are not just over two bucks an hour, $2.45 actually. So for 10 hours, which is probably more than I'll actually use, it's $24.50 for fresh clean cold air and access to other features (which I'll probably never use).

So anywho. I'm lovin' it right now.

In other news.

I had a pleasant night at home last night. The load I delivered this morning took me right through the house. I was able to stay at the homestead and still make on time delivery this morning in NC. It was nice that I actually got in town early enough to get a hair cut, take my sweetie out for a really nice dinner of seafood and beer (and no not Long John Silvers and a 6'er haha) and then relax at home watching TV and snuggling.

It was tough to pull myself out of bed this morning, however. I know I'll be home again come Sunday and that's something I'm looking forward to. 4 nights in my own bed! woo hoo!

I realized yesterday while I was at home that it'd been 5 weeks since I was last at my house. I wondered why things looked "different" as I drove through WV on my way into town. Everything wasn't in full bloom or all the way green the last time I was home. Weird.

Well anywho. I am gonna get moving for now. I wanna fix me some din-din and then I'm gonna watch a movie and relax. Then tomorrow I get to shuttle around some broken trailers and get paid for it! I love it! That'll be an easy day, unless it's sweltering hot or pouring the rain. Either extreme is icky.

Toodles!

Comments

The Daily Rant said…
How lucky that you got to spend some time at home. West Virginia is BEAUTIFUL! One of my favorite states to drive through. I'm a big fan of the Eastern half of the country. Unfortunately, I will be spending time in Arizona over the 4th of July holiday. The good side is I get to see my family, the bad side is that as I write this, it's 118.2 degrees. I don't know if I'll make it long enough to see them - I'm seriously considering taking the blade to my wrist about now. It's so effin HOT. I don't know WHY people live out here. I just don't get it. If my mother didn't move out here when I was in high school, I would never step foot in this state again.

Anyway....hope you enjoy your time off and drive carefully!!
Angela said…
Aww I love the southwest heat! It beats Florida anyday! I can't see how so many flock to the dripping heat of the south east at all! You can sit still as a statue in the south east and still sweat like you just ran a whole marathon!

Enjoy your holiday weekend as well as you can! Drink lemonade (spiked of course) and stay cool!
The Daily Rant said…
oh, by the way...I linked to you on my blog. Hope you don't mind!
Anonymous said…
wow.. $2 something an hour really adds up. i didn't realize if was that expensive.

when I drove for Schneider, I used a table fan. I got a small power inverter, pulled out that little table over the cabinet in the sleeper and set it on that. works pretty good; even in hottest summer days, I could sleep good.

the biggest problem was the winter months with the truck off. one time I was at the Green Bay OC in the middle of winter and thought I was going to get hyperthermia when I woke up freezing.
Angela said…
Of course I don't mind that you linked to my blog on your blog chicka! That is awesome! I've had you linked for a while now actually. So there. haha

And Scott... I have a little 12v. fan that works pretty nice, but I mainly use it at night. I enjoyed the IdleAire during the peak heating hours of the day yesterday. That fan wouldn't have done more than move the hot air around.

I don't plan on using IdleAire all that much though, it's a nice spoil-me-a-little commodity is all.
Anonymous said…
I'm glad you enjoyed your Idleaire experience. If you're ever down in Wildwood, Florida, stop in and say hello. We have a friendly staff down at 0382! I drove OTR for 8 years, now I hang around the TA and help drivers get comfortable at IA! Rob
yahoo: basich31

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic