Off to PA

Today I’m picking up a load in Coshocton, OH and taking it to Williamsport, OH. It’s a short run, but it will get me closer to home in a manner of speaking. Apparently freight in PA is not as soft as it is elsewhere (crummy=soft) so I shouldn’t have any problem getting assigned a load that takes me either to the great state of West Virignia or through the state. Which would allow me my 3 days at home this weekend and then deliver early next week. Let’s hope it works out that way.

Yesterday I had to run up to Cleveland to deliver a load and then I was routed back here to our Seville Operations Center so I could attend the first day of Spring Training. Mandatory training sessions occur in winter and spring. They primarily consist of information regarding accidents and loss prevention in the realms of freight, equipment and personal injury. Just as with winter training, we were presented with astounding figures on the amount of money Schenider spends each year on accidents, workers comp claims, damaged freight, etc. It amazes me every time how large the numbers are.

After sitting in the classroom for about an hour we were led outside by the resident physical therapist for tips on safety around and in the truck. It was the same standard information we learned on DAY ONE of the two week academy training that we go through before we’re formally hired. And information that is pounded into our heads almost daily by our managing boards and safety coordinators. However redundant it seems, it is very useful knowledge and should be followed to a T to prevent injury.

Trust me, know one knows better than me (in my opinion anyway) the dangers of not using proper technique around the truck. I will not soon forget nearly ripping my skull open on the underside of a trailer because I was in a hurry.... nor the stars I saw and the probably mild concussion I received as a result of my disregard for safety either!

After that we were shuffled back into the classroom to gather our things and then we went out on the road with an instructor for a "safety check" drive. I enjoyed the drive and the conversation with the instructor I was assigned for the drive. It was a relaxed experience and I didn’t feel worried about presenting my 8 months level of skills to a seasoned veteran. (and I say seasoned veteran in the most respectful way)

After the training and the safe check drive, I just hung out in the terminal playing on the computer and chatting it up with other drivers who happened to be looking for conversation. Then I went to sleep.

I was rudely awakened this morning, or last night shall I say, at 12:38am by a guy claiming that he had been assigned the empty trailer that I was connected to. I believed him, but there was NO way in hell I was getting up at midnight just to disconnect from the trailer for him. So I told him to go away and that I would call Support Shift to find a solution. I knew he’d be back asking again....I wanted to be armed with some factual knowledge.

Support shift said that I was supposed to have dropped the trailer when I returned from my training drive session. I explained to the representative that I never received such orders over my Qualcomm and that I would prefer not to have to further interrupt my sleep just to disconnect. So he worked it out to where the other guy got a different trailer assignment and I was able to go soundly back to sleep, eventually.

The guy did come back just as I hung up with Support Shift and I told him what I was told. He left, angry... but still he left and I was off to bed once more.

I woke up with the alarm at 6:30 this morning and reset it for 7am. Finally, I got up and checked my Qualcomm for any new messages. Nothing had come over in the hours since my rude awakening so I sent in a message (we call the MAC18) to let the powers-that-be know that I didn’t have a load assignement and what time I would be available to receive one.

Mere seconds passed after I sent the message that I started getting "beeps", aka Incoming Messages for my next load assignment. I wrote it all up really quick and then headed into the terminal to take a shower.

Now I sit here blogging... I don’t have to pick up my load at any specific time, just so long as I get there by 6pm today. I only have to take the load like 310 miles, which is only 6 hours worth of driving. So I’m not in a huge hurry. I need to head over to the shop and see if they can explain the wierdness that’s been occuring with my Qualcomm unit and maybe fix it, then I’ll get on the road.

I hope that the next time I blog will either be from home or after my three days off. In the meantime, enjoy life and each other! ;o) (remember it’s spring... make like the fluffly bunnies) Toodle-loo!

Comments

Gypsy said…
Hey GiGi, I've been following your blog for a while and decided I'd finally stop to say hello.

I am a California-based female truck driver in training. Reading your older posts has been really encouraging to me lately as I get ready to finally get my license and start work in just a couple weeks. I'll be driving for Werner Enterprises.

I hope you don't mind that I've added a link to your page from my blog, Gypsy Trucker.

See you on the road!
-Gypsy
SteveInSac said…
Hi Gi-Gi! I guess I need to introduce myself also. I've been following your adventures since you were over at pumpkindriver.com. I totally enjoy your writing and your sense of humor! Now, I have some serious questions for you! Since you've now been on the road for 8+ months, are you satisfied with your job? Are the mileage and pay what you expected? Are you happy you became a truck driver? I have finally decided to enter truck driving school, partly due to your blogs and how you seem to enjoy it so much. This is all very cool! Thanks Gi-Gi! Be careful! Steve
Anonymous said…
Hey GiGi

It is hard to believe you have been on the road almost a year now. I have been a silent follower since your first post. I have to ask, is the job better or worse than you expected? If so how and what do you consider the good points and bad points of the job/lifestyle? The reason I ask is, this is two years in a row now that my employeer has pissed me off to no end, and I am on the verge of telling him to take the job and shove it. But I digress and don't want to get too negative but the next job I am looking at is trucking. Let us know and be safe out there.

Steven
The18Wheeler said…
GiGi, I think I should say hello as well. My name is Jason, I'm a Swift driver, and the author of the18wheeler. I wanted to thank you for putting a link to my page on your front page! Very cool! Soon I'll be putting a similar section on my page, and rest assured that your site will be on it. Anyway, between you, Gypsy, and myself, I think we have the big-company trucking companies covered. Take care!
GoGo said…
Ive been hopping around the yard like a bunny all afternoon. My neighbors will not talk to me anymore. Whats this supposed to do again?
Angela said…
*ahem* Okay....

Welcome aboard the Good Ship Gi-Gi Roxx Gypsy Trucker! (hehe) Glad to see you find me interesting enough to add to your "links" section on your blog. I'll be adding you shortly.
Angela said…
Steveinsac...welcome also.

To answer (briefly) your questions. I LOVE MY JOB! The milage is good some weeks, not so good other weeks, but I'm a fairly lazy driver and I could do more than I do if I REALLY wanted. The pay is excellent considering my past paychecks from previous jobs. I'm not in this to make millions, but I can pay all my bills and have some play money on the side. I am thrilled to be a professional driver.

Good luck on becoming a professional yourself. If you're going to SNI, work hard and listen harder and you'll do just fine!
Angela said…
Steven: Not sure how cool I am with you describing yourself as a silent follower... sounds too much like a stalker... hahah Just kidding! Welcome aboard also.

To answer your questions: I have to say that being a driver has its daily up's and down's but all in all is just about what I expected, if you can really "expect" anything out of a new career.

There are too many pro's and con's to really list but I'd have to say that I'm fairly satisfied with my new lifestyle. It's taken a lot of strenght to make some major changes in habits and such but it's been worth it. I'd say the hardest thing is not being with my family all the time. I don't have children, but I sure miss my sister and niece and nephew and my sweetie pie.

Good luck with whatever step you choose in your career path!
Angela said…
Aaron: What have you been smoking? Maybe try sharing it with those snotty neighbors! haha

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Mmm...Jello