It’s finally time...

I've been on my journey to California now for a week. I've not made it yet, but I will today. I have had a great time since I left Missouri on Thursday. I really didn't like most of Oklahoma as it was pretty much just trudging through a horrendous snow storm, but once I broke free of that and made it into New Mexico it was fantastic. I have mentioned before that I lived in southern New Mexico, but that I'd never traveled to the northern part of the state.

I wish now that I'd have done so in a privately owned auto so I could have seen the sites and enjoyed more of the beauty outside of a vehicle. Big trucks have so few places they can go in the world, really. And all of the places I would loved to have checked out didn't allow big trucks. But I was able to snap a few pictures and enjoy what I could see thoroughly.

I enjoyed NM and AZ on Friday and Saturday. I was skeptical that AZ was going to produce anything beautiful for the first half of my drive on Saturday, however. I was told by a new friend that I was in for a real treat in AZ along I-40. But all I saw was desert.... flat or just some rolling hills... nothing too exceptional really. But then it happened... I was driving along... minding my own business... singing along with the radio when it happened.

I saw some fairly large hills off in the distance to the north and was taken by something black sitting atop one on the horizon. I was contenmplating whether it was shrubbery or perhaps an animal of some sort when I figured I'd see it when I got closer and started to look off to the south. Nothing much going on there so I put the eyes forward and kept searching the horizon. And then I noticed something white... that wasn't moving along with the rest of the clouds.

I said aloud, "Oh sh*t." And quickly realized it was mountains. Snow covered mountains.

And it took me nearly 80 miles before I was actually at the base of the mountains in Flagstaff, AZ. They were beautiful and just what I'd been looking forward to on this trip. I was finally there! woo hoo!

After passing though the mountains I ended up taking Rt. 89 south into Prescott/Prescott Valley where I have been staying since Saturday afternoon with my awesome friends Levi & Missy. It's been such a great time, despite the frigid temps and snow, which is now falling en masse.

Later on this morning Levi will return from work to scoop me up and take me back to my truck. I will head south on I-17 into Phoenix and then pick up I-10 into Cali. I have a feeling that's my best bet anyways weather wize... because the higher elevations (aka I-40) are getting MUCH more snow than here and the interstate will probably end up shut down.

I will make my delivery this afternoon and then head over to our Fontana, CA terminal for the night. Then who knows what....

So until later on tonite (or perhaps later than that) take care of yourselves and enjoy life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic