Sunny *sigh* Southern California

Not quite the dreamscape I'd imagined actually, but it will do. When the dust isn't blowing in the wind, it's actually KINDA pretty here. I am in an area surrounded by snow capped mountains, which is nice. But it's nothing like I'd imagined. I guess I shouldn't have had such high expectations.

It's not all bad though. The temperatures are moderately warm which allowed me to wear a t-shirt without a jacket for the first time since sometime back in October or early November. So that was nice.

I got here yesterday evening, much later than I'd expected. It took me a lot longer than I'd anticipated to get here too. I got stuck in post Super Bowl traffic down in Phoenix, which sucked. But then it was just a long freakin' drive across I-10 into Cali. I thought I only had about 250-300 miles to go from Prescott Valley... but it was more lik 450. EEK!

But I suvived and suffered. Survived because I made it without incident... suffered because I had to drive in the dark and not be able to "sightsee" to keep the boredom at bay along the way.

I arrived at my delivery location and was in and out in no time. Next I was on my way to our Fontana, CA terminal. I was excited because the drivers I'd spoken to in the past had raved about this terminal. When I arrived I realized they must have all been smoking crack because this place is not what they made it out to be. Yeah, there is TONS of parking... but there is also tons of dust, dirt and walking to endure also.

For instance, I had to park at a fair distance away from the actual facility... I'd guest-imate that it was close to a quarter mile... give or take a few 50 feet. I go in to take a shower this morning only to be mauled by a dust cloud when I exited to go back to my truck. Yeah... so much for that shower! haha

But really it's not THAT bad... just not quite what I was expecting. But then I guess it's really my fault that I am dealing with slight disappointment since I am the one that had the expectations in the first place. *snort*

So anywho... I had received a new load assignment while I was en route to the terminal last night. It was a relay load that I was going to pick up at the terminal this morning and haul a whole whopping 2 miles down the street. Yep... it was exciting.

The load wasn't all that bad though, just a trailer full of wood pallets. Once I got to the facility I was delivering to I had a little frustration but I turned it into the positive and it made for a rather productive day.

The load was to be unloaded while I waited. The given average duration was 4.5 hours. I arrived and checked in only to be told that I needed to go around to the other side of the building. So I did.... and checked in over there only to be told that I was to go back to the other side of the building. So I did. Then I sat there for nearly 4 hours before a guy knocked on my door to tell me that he needed me to go BACK to the other side of the building! haha

During that 4 hours, however, I did manage to clean up my truck, dust and such. I cleaned the windows and mirrors and organized my stuff. It was very productive and it really did need the cleaning! So that was bonus!

After I got unloaded... which by the way only took about 15 minutes once they started... I headed back here to the terminal. I am now doing laundry and obviously surfing the internet while I wait. Then once the laundry is done I will head back out to the truck, maybe watch a movie and then it's sleepy time!

I have no idea yet where I will be heading tomorrow. I hope it's eastward and not northward. No offense to those of you who long to see me in the northern part of the country... I just hate the snow and the thought of crossing mountains that may require me to chain up my rig. Not what I call a "good time". haha

Till next time! Toodles =)

Comments

Anonymous said…
I know the feeling about being disappointed in a OC. I went to Green Bay last week, being our headquarters and all I was expecting a lot more than I received. A small not squat for parking and a whopping two showers.
J&J said…
Gigi, I love your positive attitude and outlook on life! It's very refreshing these days when we are surrounded with so many negative people. Even when things don't go as planned, you manage to turn them into a positive experience. I wish the world was full of people like you! You are an awesome writer, keep it up. I really enjoy reading about your adventures!

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic