Company Training Academy Green Bay, WI - Pt. 1

Well ladies and gentlemen, I'm in Wisconsin and I'm having a blast so far. The bus ride from Columbus was a long one but it was nice to be able to see some of the countryside.... while I was awake of course. Thank goodness I'd loaded up on Dramamine before the trip, because I'd only gotten about 4 hours sleep in the hotel the night before.

So we got here Friday afternoon and checked into the hotel. I got to know my roomie on the bus and we bonded a little more in the room once we got settled. She's great! After eating dinner and letting it settle in, I hit the hot tub! Oh my good lawd I'm glad we have that hot tub. After 12-14 hour days at the training center, that hot tub is a godsend.

Saturday was our official day one. We filled out loads of paperwork and took our Physical Assessment test (which I passed and found out I was stronger than I thought I was!) and then more paper work and then straight to the books. I took and failed the Day One Skills Qualification Test that is required for all new hires with a current and valid CDL, however... They stuck me in a truck with an instructor and told me to drive around town. It was tough because I was unfamiliar with the truck, the shifting tendencies and of course the streets of Green Bay, WI.

If I'd passed, I could have been outta here in 3.5 days. But I'm glad I didn't because I get to stay the full two weeks and get all the good fun training.

Like the simulators!

Sunday we did tons of classroom work, tests, watched videos and such. Today we went out in the morning to learn some basic stuff on the trucks, most of which I already knew because of my previous training. I did get to couple/uncouple the tractor and trailer though, which was cool. Then it was in the building to get in the simulators. I didn't get much time on them today because it was to teach us basic shifting skills. When I got in the seat and was instructed to "show 'em what I know", they made me get out pretty quickly because they saw that I could already shift. LOL That was kinda nice.

After that was lunch then more class work. We wrapped up at 4pm and we were bussed back to the hotel. Then I called the cab and headed here to the Public Library to get my internet fix.

I'm having a blast and I'm looking forward to the rest of my two weeks here. I should get a couple of days home in WV after my training and then I'll get picked up by my Training Engineer (TE) for 1-3 weeks out on the road. After that... I'll get the keys to my very own Pumpkin Truck...

Woooo Hoooo! I'm just having a great time, making new friends and finally living the dream!!!!

Gi-Gi Roxx

Comments

Steven C said…
Gi-Gi keep the posts coming. It is great to hear first hand from someone who is going through the training process, loving what she is doing and actually getting on the road. I personally have been thinking long and hard about quitting my job and doing the exact same thing you are doing now. Being single myself I think I would be suited for life on the road. Believe me when I say I truly look forward to hearing about every one of your training experiences, plus any additional information you can provide about being a driver and look forward to more of your posts.

Steven
Anonymous said…
Hey what happened? I really liked reading your blog. You were giving some good advice. Plus your hot!
DarkieJim said…
Hey Gi-Gi,
It's jim49525 from pumpkindriver.com. Just wondering how you are doing. I'm waiting to get assigned my first truck! Passed SQT and made it through my two weeks with my TE--Joe Super Trucker he was!
Hope all is well with you!!
GoGo said…
I was trying to find your email address but i couldn't, so im leavening a comment in the archives.

What is your email address!?!?!?!?

~Aaron

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic