The Final Week - Professional Truck Driver Training

So we spent all morning Saturday driving the test route, getting familiar with the flow of the road and such. I was a little rusty shifting after having a week to relax in the North Carolina mountains, but after a few stops and starts I was smoothing back out again and running that truck like a semi-professional. I say semi because I am still learning, and I will always continue learning so long as I drive.

After a few trips each we headed back to the range for one more stab at the straight line and 45 degree backing maneuvers. I felt good about it... good enough to call it a day when I was asked to determine the remainder of our scheduled class time.

So off I went... homeward bound and bouncing off the walls with excitement about the test the next morning.

I was surprised at how NOT nervous I was this morning. I had a few butterflies in the belly but for the most part I was calm. I had convinced myself that I was going to pass and that if I got all hikeabooberated before the test that I'd be more likely to screw up. So I went in with a relaxed sense about me and I ended up passing the test with flying colors.

The parts I was the most worried about were the Pre-Trip Inspection and the brake checks. But I nailed them puppies with 100% accuracy. Woo hoo! By the time I was done with those two I knew I had it in the bag.

The only time during the actual driving portion of the test that I got really nervous about was when we were literally a mile away from the school and I knew there was this one particularly difficult turn coming up. I started to sweat a little and got a little flutterly in the gut, but I rolled right through it with no problem.

I was about as happy as a pig in mud when the Tester gave me that white sealed envelope to take to the DMV to get my picture taken. I'm still insanely happy!

And now... as my reward I'm treating myself to a movie.

Thanks for all of your support and encouragement, folks!

The journey has truly JUST begun.... stay tuned!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Congradulations DRIVER!
Unknown said…
WOO HOO!!! I remember that day... Congrats!

Keep the shiny side up! Easy on the brakes, driver.
GoGo said…
So, whats next?
Who ya going to drive for?

p.s. take some pictures!
Angela said…
Aaron, Trust me....I will be taking tons of pictures when I get up to my training center in Green Bay and from that point forward! I hope I can get a laptop in the next few months so I can post and update regularly!

Chris, I'll be going to work for Schneider National. Well I'm going to go thru the "interview" process of training and such and if they like me and think me worthy... I'll end up with the keys to my very own Pumpkin!

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic