Truckin'

Well I finally made it to a company terminal! Upon my arrival I made a beeline to meet my new boss in person. After that I got to meet my new truck, but not before I had to have the shop cut a key for it since the previous driver had locked the only key in the truck.

Once I was in, and before I moved all my crap into the truck, I did a good once over on the inside and out and found that I needed to run it through the shop for some minor repairs. Nothing much and nothing that took very long. Just stuff that needed done and a few small things that I simply wanted done. (yes I'm still a prima donna)

The truck had belonged to a smoker and so it reeked to high heaven. But I just rolled down the windows for a bit and let it air out. That helped a little. What helped the most was getting the old nasty smoke saturated mattresses out of the truck. They were the old school fabric covered ones so they were extra susceptible to the stinkiness of smoke. I was really lucky that they had a mattress, fresh out of the box, that they could replace the smelly one with. I'd have been miserable if I'd have had to have slept on that thing. UGH!

So I got super lucky there. I also go lucky in that the truck wasn't really all that dirty. Yes, there was some interior surface grime that had to be taken care of but overall it was a pretty clean truck from the start. I think I had to put about two times the elbow grease into ol' Marge when I picked her up. (for those of you new around here Marge was my third truck when I was on the road before)

My hubby was here to help me get things wiped down and we had it done in no time. Top to bottom we had the inside of the truck sparkling, er... well as sparkling as a truck can be. We then transferred all of my crap from the car to the truck. That took way less time to do than it did to actually LOAD the car this morning.

Once all my stuff had been tossed in, we then headed out to grab lunch and a few supplies at the local general store (since I always manage forget something). And then it was time for the bittersweet tears that come with saying farewell to the hubby before I had to do some training.

You see, this truck is an Ultra Shift, just like ol' Kenny (my second truck from before) had been. Before the company will allow anyone to take off in an Ultra Shift (which is just fancy for automatic, by the way) they require that you watch a video, read a pamphlet and go for a test drive with a trainer. The whole process takes less than 3 hours, and actually for us today it was more like just under two.

Being that I'd driven one before I didn't have a whole lot to prove to the trainer. He needed to make sure I could use the manual override and not roll backwards on a hill, for the most part. The rest, any monkey could do.

And so I did.

Once the training was over I met with my new boss again and went over a few things and got a "new driver" box-o-goodies. Ya know, the important things like load straps and duct tape. I stocked up on paperwork supplies as well. Then it was time to get out in the truck and put things in order.

Since hubby and me had just tossed everything in the truck I had quite a task ahead of me to find places to put all of the things. Oh, and since this truck is also one that is equipped with a pilot system for a no-power cooling system, I'm screwed with my much coveted under-bunk storage space. This system, while it will be awesome if it works, is just insanely huge. There is a space under the bunk that is divided into three compartments. Two of which are accessible by little hatches on either side of the cab. The middle is the biggest compartment and is only accessible by lifting the bunk inside the cab. The middle space is typically empty and is roughly 3' x 3' by about 10-12 inches deep. Ample room for a multitude of things to be stored.

But this cooling system unit takes up all but about 24" x 6" worth of the space. Rendering it mostly useless. So I had to thank my stellar planning skills for having limited the amount of crap I brought out with me, yet still get creative on using what space I DO have available to stow all of my things.

I think I've got it all pretty well taken care of. And it only took me about 2 hours to get it all put up. There are a few stray items I will need to find a home for, or just dump off on my first trip home. But I think I've done well at getting settled in. I got my XM Radio set up, my CB radio too. I honestly kinda feel like I never left.

So right now, I'm relaxing... trying to unwind. I've got a tinge of a headache, probably from all of the air freshener and smoky stinky smell that still lingers. But it's nothing a little Tylenol and sleep won't cure. I am hoping to get my first load assignment soon too. My boss had mentioned the possibility that I'd be getting a relay going to Kentucky but so far that hasn't happened.

So I'll wait... and rest and be glad things went so well today.

Oh... and for those of you who have been asking, or just wondering.... the truck has already been named. I almost hate to introduce him without a picture, but since it's dark outside and the truck is filthy dirty on the outside....that's just not going to happen.

But I will give a big ol' Gi-Gi Roxx shout out.

Here's to my newest trucking companion in what is sure to be many exciting Over-The-Road Adventures.....

Welcome Bruce!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Cool! I once had a bird dog named Bruce.

KY Joe
Truckingtiger said…
Welcome Bruce!!! Great name, by the way! That cooling system will run you out of there if it is decently cool on the outside. Dont elect it to cool your truck if its 100 degrees out though. It works on the ambient temp. Stupid, but thats what it does. My truck has one too. Going to use it tonight, in fact. Storming in Winchester Virginia and can't roll the windows down.

Cant wait to read about your first load with Bruce!
Jason S Harry said…
Hello Bruce! I hope you both have great adventures and make many awesome memories going down the road together. Enjoy that first trip back on the road (and all the ones after that too ha ha...) My black & gold mistress and I look forward to seeing you guys sometime!

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic