Farewell Facebook

It's been a long time coming. I finally deleted my Facebook account. Its a relief really. I know there are people sitting there thinking, wtf is wrong with this girl?! But whatever... my decision, happily made. Perhaps now I can stop wasting time and energy and get something constructive, creative and more satisfying accomplished!

So for those of you who had been fans, I'm sorry. I'm not completely sure that the "fan" page will go away with the deletion of my account, but if not you'll soon notice that it isn't being updated any longer and hopefully remove it from your list of pages.

Which reminds me that I'll need to update my website to remove the "fan me" links and such. Ugh, it's never over, really, is it? haha

I thought I'd never actually give up Facebook, or social network sites in general. But around this time last year I deleted my MySpace account, which was liberating. And ever since I've been itching to give up Facebook as well. It just took a while to work up to it. But now... wow... I feel better about things.

No more drama, no more "who had what for dinner", no more time spent telling others what I'm up to, knowing most of them couldn't care less. It's awesome.

So there.

On the trucking front, I'm still trucking right along. I've been a little down in the dumps for a few days and thinking about how much I love and hate trucking all at the same time. It's tough being away from home all the time, missing out on even the simple things. I've been thinking lately about how I've been home maybe a total of 6.5 to 7 months over the course of the last three years. That breaks my heart.

Although, I have been out here having the adventure of a lifetime. Now I've got stories to tell for a lifetime. I've done so many things I never dreamed I'd do. Been places I'd never dreamed I be. I've accomplished so much more than I'd set out to, and I wouldn't trade a minute of it. Well... maybe a few of the minutes where I wanted to pound pavement and make a bee line straight to home after an especially crappy day. But who doesn't have those moments?!

Overall, trucking has been pretty much what I expected and THEN SOME!

I will be honest, though. I'm looking for a change. I've been told by my company that there are endless opportunities within the company, but that is only if you're willing to move to a location that fits within the required hiring radius for the opportunity you want to pursue. So I've been scanning the local classified and online trucking websites regularly, hoping to find something that gets me home but still lets me drive, as I believe driving is what I'm meant to do. I've got a few interesting prospects, but nothing lined up yet.

I'm in no rush, but I'd like to find something that's gonna suit me and my needs. I've got pretty strict criteria for what I'm needing and can hold out for the right thing if I need to. I'll keep inquiring until the right fit comes along. I just think that it's time to go from always gone to almost never gone from home.

Until I find that perfect fit, I'm just here, trucking around and doing what I do best.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You've got the time and experience in. You should consider looking for something local or LTL. I used to drive for Hogan, and when it became apparent I needed to stay home for custody of my kids, they got me a job driving on their Proctor and Gamble account. drive from a factory to a distribution center and back with loaded and empty trialors, all in the St. louis area. six to seven rips a day, 10 to 12 hour shifts. home every night. Also got a job as a yard dog at one of the distribution warehouses.

Later on I got a job driving a straght back for a company called Olin hauling gunpowder from the magazines in the field to the factory, and hauling empty containers to the trialer for the recycle process. Also drove a daycab to haul scrap metal to the Olin foundry to melt. That was a sweet gig, home every afternoon, and it was a union job, which paid very well, $26 - $31 per hour.

Food for thought. You do not have to be OTR to be a trucker.
Anonymous said…
Hey Girl.....glad I found your blog. I had been looking for you on facebook, and thought I might have ended up on one of your friend cleanups! Glad to know that was not the case. Anyways, wanted to get in touch with you, as I am headed on a month long road trip out West.. thought you might have some pointers, and advice (such as places to shower) doing this trip on a budget! Hope all is well and be safe on the road ~Katie Neeley~
Angela said…
Katie: just email me at gigi@gigiroxx.net and I'll do my best to help you out. :-)
Chip said…
Sorry to see the Facebook page go, but ya gotta do what you gotta do...

I'm the same way with driving... I have a wife and kids that I pay for, but never see.. I've been kind of on the prowl for something near home, but so far nothing pays as good..

Good luck...
Martin said…
'I love and hate trucking all at the same time'

Perfect!! That's the phrase I've been looking for.

I'm currently running UK - Spain/Gibraltar - UK. It's okay but I don't see why so many UK drivers get excited about doing 'Euro work'; it's just driving on the other side of the road to me.

Yeah, definitely a job I love and hate at the same time!!

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic