Rough Stuff

The past couple of weeks have been rough on us here in the Roxx home.  Leelu is cutting molars which is making her a whiny, slobbery, often intolerable, mess. 

Then there was last Tuesday.

One of the local cinemas has a free movie every Tuesday and Wednesday throughout the summer that starts at 9:30 AM.

We decided to skip the usual Tuesday library story time and check out the movie. Plus, I figured it would be a cheap (free) way of finding out how she would do in the theater. 

She did better than I expected, honestly.  She sat on my lap picking at the popcorn and laughing at the appropriate moments.  We saw Despicable Me 2, which we had watched twice before at home without paying that much attention to it really.  But she seemed to thoroughly enjoy it on the big screen.

We managed about 3/4 of the movie before she started getting too antsy to get on her feet and move about.  So we left early.

When we got home things took a turn for the worst.  We hadn't been home 30 minutes when I left her in her room playing so I could use the restroom. 

Usually, this goes splendidly. 

This time, not so much.

I am mid-business when I hear a crash and then the wailing that follows such crashes.  I'm not sure what she was doing, but she hit either the table beside her bed or the rail on the bed itself with her right eye.

She was bleeding, it was swelling shut instantly and I did my best to swallow my panic as I tried to settle her down and clean her face up.  She wouldn't let me touch her.  She would swat my hand away and scream in pain. 

I immediately called her pediatrician and asked for advice.  It didn't look like her eyeball was damaged but she was bleeding and I couldn't tell how bad it was cut.  They advised me to take her to the ER just to be on the safe side.

So we hauled it over to the ER ASAP. 

We were in and out of there in under an hour, but not without drama. 

The doctor came back with a nurse and they proceeded to hold her down while they cleaned her eye up to check it and determine that stitches weren't necessary (thank goodness) but that they needed to apply DermaBond to keep it from getting nastier. 

You'd have thought they were ripping her limbs off one by one the way she carried on during this whole ordeal.  I cried, she cried, and they assured me she was just mad and that they weren't hurting her.  I was still heart broken at the sounds of her cries. 

But after they were done we cuddled and she calmed down and we went home.

Then....

Two days later we had our regularly scheduled well-baby visit with her pediatrician.  I guess the trauma of the ER visit was still fresh with poor Leelu because from the moment we arrived until the moment we left she wailed like she was being tortured all over again. 

Thankfully since then, she's been doing much better.  She ended up with quite the shiner but it's already fading and looking much better.  The last of the DermaBond wore off in the bath last night and I think there will be no scarring from the cut she sustained in her fall.

But, we've a rotten mess in the last 24 hours.  These molars are giving her quite the fit.  She ended up having a fever last night and has been just pitiful today.  She never snuggles, like NEVER... and she spent all morning on my lap watching her movie, Frozen.  She'd whimper and whine and drool... I finally decided to give her some medicine to  help with the pain and she promptly asked for a nap. 

She's been out for an hour now and I suspect she'll sleep until one-ish.

Poor thing.

Comments

Belledog said…
Wow. How harrowing for everyone. Glad Miss Leelu is on the mend. (And hope she loses her fear of doctors' offices. Not helpful.)

Also hope her choice of movies/entertainment remains fare you like too. Cuz you hear it over and over again. Maybe you can stay a Barney-free zone.

Hope you are enjoying this lovely weekend. Cheers to the Roxx family.

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic