Gi-Gi Phone Home

I feel like beer and pizza... but I'm living like water and banana's. So far, that's what I've ingested for the day. I was really hoping that things would work to my advantage and that tonight I'd get to indulge in the first two items at home. But its not looking promising.

Yesterday was a whirlwind of activity for me. I'd picked up a load in Beloit, WI the other day that I relayed first thing at our terminal in Columbus, OH yesterday morning. From there I was dispatched to grab an empty trailer and take it to swap out for a pre-loaded one at a Wal-Mart DC nearby. Once I'd acquired the pre-loaded trailer I was to relay it at the terminal as well.

I had a little fun in the midst of it all when I arrived at the Wal-Mart DC and found that the place they wanted me to drop the empty was basically a mud-bog. I was careful while still attached to the trailer, but once I'd dropped it... I figured a little fun was in the stars. So I locked in the differential and took off. And it was indeed fun... dirtying up Trucky and bouncing around a bit.

After making my way through the nastiness, I went to check in to get the paperwork for the load I then got the trailer and got gone. I made the drop at the terminal and parked waiting for my next assignment. It didn't take long before I'd received a message from dispatch pleading for help.

I'm always open to help out when I can, keeps me on the good side of dispatch when I need something for myself. So I called in to see what they needed me to do. They needed me to take an empty to a new customer and set up a base "impression" with them. Apparently they'd been a customer of ours in the past but had dropped us because of some other driver's attitude or something. So I put on my biggest smiles and agreed to help out.

I grabbed an empty and headed over to the new customer. When I'd arrived I found myself greeted with less enthusiasm than I'd expected. I have no idea what a previous driver did to this place, but they were not happy to see orange pull onto the lot. When the yard guy approached me he was stone faced and ready to jump.

As he got close to my truck, his face started to change, to soften.... as I was using all of my charm to beam the biggest smile I could find straight at him. I turned on a little "country charm" as well by bringing out the hillbilly accent (I'm terrible I know) and the giggly girl routine. I generally hate doing stuff like this, but yesterday I was in a good mood and ready for some acting!

Before too long he was quite personable and was finding the experience better than whatever had previously occurred for him that day. He instructed me where to drop the trailer and told me I could go into the office for coffee and donuts if I was so inclined. I declined the offer saying I needed to get moving, but thanked him for his kindness and time.

I sure hope that whomever they send in after me to get the load doesn't go in with a bad attitude or do anything to screw that one up. I did my best to be as sweet as could be and make them feel comfortable with our company again. I just hope it was enough... and that some idiot doesn't go screwing it up again.

.....so anyway...

After buttering up the new customer I did get moving again and headed back to our terminal where I was to pick up my next work assignment. It was a relayed trailer bound for Bedford, PA. I stopped first at the Bob Evans restaurant at the end of the road that leads to our terminal for a hearty meal then grabbed the trailer and headed east.

I delivered the load here in Bedford about two hours ago and am now just waiting for dispatch to send me a new assignment. I hope whatever they send me gets me home either tonight or first thing tomorrow. But we shall see.

Comments

Anonymous said…
So, what was the outcome with the overweight beer load? Did you offload the excess and if so, how?
sensing that you weren't in wv also last nite, we had a cold one in your honor.....lol.....be safe and hope you're home soon....we'll be headed back out probably by then...
Angela said…
I had made it home and had way too many beers last night, so I guess I had a few cold ones with you! hehe

----------------------------
Anon: I guess I never had really cleared that part up. I was sent to a local garage that rented out budget rental trucks where they offloaded four pallets of brewski and stored until another company driver could come pick it up and take it the rest of the way.
girlofwords said…
Next time you're in Bedford, I highly recommend the Jean Bonnet. You probably won't be able to enjoy the beer part of it, but their food is worth it, too. :)
Angela said…
Jacque, yeah I passed that place and thought it looked interesting. Perhaps another time!

If you ever venture back into Charleston you'll have to let me know and we'll do lunch if I'm in town.

I occassionally get to a truck stop in the Baltimore/DC metro area in a town called Jessup, but it's kinda shady and I don't stay there often anymore.
girlofwords said…
Jessup is pretty sketch. I don't blame you for avoiding it altogether. :) But seriously, if you find yourself with time on your hands this way, lemme know. I'll give you a shout when I head back to the good ol' Kanawha Valley.
The Daily Rant said…
I think it's perfectly acceptable to use whatever talents you have to get things done.

And yeah, sometimes the girl behind the wheel gets things done.

Keep up the good work!!

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Blowin' Stuff Up